Course Start Date
6 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- Fully Subsidised Course
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Auslan develops your understanding of the language, values and culture of the Australian Deaf community. Communicate with deaf family, friends and community members and work towards becoming an interpreter with this immersive course.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Understand sentences and frequently used expressions
- Talk about personal and family information encountered in work, school and leisure situations
- Communicate simple and direct exchanges of information on familiar topics, or topics of personal interest
- Describe experiences and events, hopes, dreams and ambitions
- Briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Patient and flexible nature
- Supportive and caring attitude
- Good communication skills
- The ability to adapt to new situations
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- Strong pathways to continued studies to enhance your career opportunities
- Disability Support Worker
- Auslan teacher
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Auslan
- Diploma of Auslan
Become an official Auslan interpreter by completing the following qualifications:
- Diploma of Interpreting
- Advanced Diploma of Interpreting
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a Part Time combination course. You must attend approximately 6 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 6 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 3 days a week for 36 weeks. 2 evenings per week plus one 5 hour Saturday workshop per term.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday and Wednesday with Evening classes and Saturday with Day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|PSPLAN001||Converse in Auslan at a basic user level|
|PSPLAN002||Compare the fundamental differences between Auslan and English structure|
|PSPLAN003||Source information on Deaf culture, and communicate according to Deaf protocol|
|PSPLAN004||Converse in Auslan at an independent user level (familiar subjects)|
|PSPLAN005||Analyse the structure of Auslan signs|
|PSPLAN006||Research the development of educational and social conditions for Australian Deaf communities|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure