Course Start Date
27 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Barbering is designed for aspiring barbers who want to learn the art of fading, carving and cutting hair in the thriving men's grooming industry. You'll practice your skills on real clients in our fully equipped barbershops and real salons.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Fade, carve and cut hair
- Design and maintain beards and moustaches
- Shave heads and faces
- Implement freehand clipper techniques
- Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions
- Manage the essentials of barbershop operations
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Great communication
- Customer experience skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- A trade qualification (for those studying as an apprentice)
- The opportunity to apply for your Certificate of Proficiency
- Qualified barber
- Freelance session stylist
- Creative/artistic director
- Technical or sales advisor
- Business owner/operator
- Franchise owner/operator
- Screen media entertainment
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate III in Hairdressing
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Wednesday 23rd June 2021||9:30am to 10:30am||TAFE NSW Bankstown, Building D, Ground Floor, Room DG.24.|
This is a full-time, blended delivery course. You will need to attend approximately 24 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 3 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 2 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation and research.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- are working or volunteering in a Barber or Hairdressing Salon and would like to gain skills in order to achieve a Certificate III in Barbering qualification.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:30am to 4:00pm, then Thursdays from 9:00am to 2:00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Equipment/tools of trade and personal protective equipment (PPE) are required for this qualification. Information will be available at orientation session and will cost approximately $450 - $500. You can purchase from a supplier of your choice.
- T-shirts are optional and can be purchased from the Hair and Beauty Store at Bankstown at an approximate cost of $30.
- Lockers are available and with a fee of $50 (refundable when key is returned)
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT002||Create one length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT004||Create layered haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men's haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT009||Cut hair using freehand clipper techniques|
|SHBHCUT011||Design and maintain beards and moustaches|
|SHBHCUT012||Shave heads and faces|
|SHBHCUT013||Provide men's general grooming services|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBHBAS002||Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
|SHBXCCS004||Recommend products and services|
|SIRRINV001||Receive and handle retail stock|
|SIRRMER001||Produce visual merchandise displays|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
500 Chapel Road, Bankstown
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure