Course Start Date
8 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Barbering is designed for aspiring barbers who want to learn the art of fading, carving and cutting hair in the thriving men's grooming industry. You'll practice your skills on real clients in our fully equipped barbershops and real salons.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Fade, carve and cut hair
- Design and maintain beards and moustaches
- Shave heads and faces
- Implement freehand clipper techniques
- Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions
- Manage the essentials of barbershop operations
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Great communication
- Customer experience skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- A trade qualification (for those studying as an apprentice)
- The opportunity to apply for your Certificate of Proficiency
- Qualified barber
- Freelance session stylist
- Creative/artistic director
- Technical or sales advisor
- Business owner/operator
- Franchise owner/operator
- Screen media entertainment
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate III in Hairdressing
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a part time, combination course. You must attend approximately 8 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 8 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 1 days a week for 18 months.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
Australian Apprenticeships training can be on-the-job, off-the-job or a combination of both. TAFE NSW will negotiate your attendance and study pattern with you and your employer.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
There are a range of study options for NSW Apprentices and eligible non-apprentices with relevant industry work experience in this course.
Under the NSW Government fee-free apprenticeship initiative, NSW apprentices that commence their training on or after 1 July 2018 may be eligible for fee-free training. Apprentices are required to provide evidence of their NSW apprenticeship to finalise their enrolment and applicable fees.
This course is also a TAFE NSW Trade Pathways Qualification and ideal if you have been working in this industry for an extended period of time but havent received a qualification. To be eligible to enrol as a non-apprentice and secure funding, you must firstly meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria and be:
- over 21 years of age
- able to demonstrate and provide evidence of extensive industry experience and
- able to demonstrate relevant ongoing work experience and provide workplace evidence to support the achievement of competence.
The student is required to provide their own professional tools of trade to perform each task for this qualification. This includes:
- Various scissors for the purpose of cutting hair, including thinners and long blade overcomb scissors
- Feather haircutting razor and disposable replacement razors
- Trimmer, clipper and attachments, balding clippers if completing barber units
- Blow dryer and thermal equipment
- Sectioning clips, various combs and brush sizes
- Professional personal equipment (PPE)
- Enclosed footwear
- Professional Industry standard dress code applies
Further costs in addition to your student fees may be applicable for this qualification. These costs are to provide you with additional resources and/or incidentals to support your learning:
- Uniform $115.00
- Scissor Kit $200.00
- Hairdressing brush kit: approx $85.00
- Personal Protection Equipment: approx $40.00
- Mannequin Head: approx $80.00
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Before you can start an apprenticeship, you first need to find an employer in the industry you're interested in that will support you through your studies. You and your employer should contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and tell them you're interested in studying at TAFE NSW.
The ANP will help you and your employer to complete a Training Contract. Once you have a Training Contract, we will help you, your employer and the ANP to complete a Training Plan Proposal. Once you have both these documents, the ANP will lodge them with State Training Services, who will provide further advice about next steps.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT002||Create one length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT004||Create layered haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men's haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT009||Cut hair using freehand clipper techniques|
|SHBHCUT011||Design and maintain beards and moustaches|
|SHBHCUT012||Shave heads and faces|
|SHBHCUT013||Provide men's general grooming services|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBHBAS002||Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation|
|SHBHCUT006||Create combined haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT010||Create haircuts using tracks and carving|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
|SHBXCCS004||Recommend products and services|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Wollongong West (Apprenticeship)
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
22WST-179 S:02 Jan 2022 E:30 Dec 2022 D:362