School Students Rebuild - Header

School Students- Introduction


We get it, there’s so much career information for high school students, we’ve made it easier for you by putting all of your TAFE NSW options on this page.

With so many career choices, pathways and learning styles like being on campus, online, or both, you will be surprised at what TAFE NSW has to offer, in fact, we have hundreds of courses including certificates, diplomas and degrees to offer you..

At TAFE NSW, YOU come first!

This means that you will be taught by quality trained teachers who have strong industry connections, have access to mentorships, internships and work placements in a real world learning environment – and who doesn’t want that!

Be ambitious. Be job ready!

Request your Career Guide

School Students - Head Start

Career Info for high school students

Study - Pathways - Schools - FAQs


You must be at least 15 years old. However, there are some exceptions such as apprentices and trainees who can be 14 years and nine months.

Please note that the NSW Government requires you to stay at school until you complete Year 10 or turn 17 years old, whichever comes first.

If you leave school before completing your HSC, The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) will issue you a Record of School Achievement (RoSA).

If you have evidence of your RoSA you can study for any nationally recognised TAFE Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification that you meet the entry requirement for via the standard enrolment process.

If you are under 17 years old and do not have a Year 10 certificate or RoSA, you can:

  • enrol in a TAFE NSW program offered jointly with your high school, e.g. TVET, SBAT or YES program. Talk to your school’s careers advisor to find out about options in your school.
  • take up an apprenticeship or traineeship.
  • enrol to study any Certificate II qualification at TAFE NSW while still studying at high school – this is called concurrent enrolment.
  • apply for special circumstances approval to complete the equivalent of Year 10 secondary education at TAFE NSW, if you are not enrolled at a high school.

If you are home schooled, please refer to the section below.

To seek approval for concurrent enrolment or the equivalent of Year 10 at TAFE NSW, please complete the form below for the region you would like to study in.

Northern NSW
Hunter, Central Coast, Northern Rivers, Mid-North Coast or Far North Coast
Southern NSW
Illawarra, Riverina, South Coast,Highlands or Capital
South Sydney, Central CBD, North Shore or North Sydney
Western NSW
Central West, New England or Far West
Western Sydney
South-West Sydney, Hawkesbury, Hills District or Blue Mountains
Online courses

If you are currently a registered home-schooled student, you can apply for any TAFE NSW course that you meet the foundation requirements for that is confirmed as being mapped to the NESA curriculum. Certificates of Home Schooling Registration are issued by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA).

Currently registered home schooled students who meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria are eligible for subsidised training at TAFE NSW under Smart and Skilled.

Home schooled students are not issued with a RoSA when they complete their studies. If you have completed your home schooling and:

  • have turned 17 years old, you can apply for any TAFE NSW course that you meet entry criteria for through the standard application process.
  • are not yet 17 years old, you can apply to enrol in the equivalent of Year 10, by completing the form above for the Region that you wish to study in.

Some of your school subjects can give you credit towards your TAFE NSW qualification. This means you may be able to decrease the number of units and study time required to complete your course.

School subjects that may be recognised include:

  • TVET studies (i.e. nationally recognised units from Training Packages or Accredited Courses)
  • SBAT studies

You may also be able to use your previous study and other evidence of your knowledge, skills and experience to gain Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for credit towards your course. With RPL your formal and informal learning are individually assessed to see whether you can meet competency standards.

Find out more about Recognition and Credit Transfers.

School Students - 2 Promo Tiles

Card image

Get your Career Guide

To explore post school pathways Connect to your perfect career. Request a copy of our interactive Career Guide.

Card image

Information for Parents and Caregivers

When your child turns to you for advice, ensure you’re ready to answer all the big questions that help them graduate with the essential skills employers want.

Learn more

Degree Guide - School Students

Get a free career guide

Enter your details to receive your free career guide.

Ambition - Brochure

How do you want to study? *    

Ambition - Qualtrics - Code