Course Details - TAFE NSW
International Course Info
The Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security) is a three-year professional degree offered by TAFE NSW Higher Education that prepares you for employment as a network security specialist in this fast growing and dynamic industry.
The course combines a thorough coverage of the skills and knowledge in network security using a practical hands-on approach with the development of skills such as communication, problem solving and critical thinking - resulting in well-trained, analytical IT specialists. The course includes presentations and case studies by leading professional experts, so that students develop tools and techniques for solving the security issues and challenges facing the business world today.
TAFE NSW - Northern Sydney Institute (NSI) has developed this degree in consultation with industry and has created a program that gives you what employers are looking for, right now. This degree combines strong technical skills-based training with the analytical problem solving focus of a higher education program. Features of the degree include:
- strong industry involvement ensures training aligns with current government priorities and employer needs
- small class sizes with greater individual attention and support
- balance of solid technical grounding and specialist expertise. Students will develop into well rounded IT professionals - analytical thinkers and problem solvers
- guest lectures from leading industry professionals
- simulated real world training environments incorporating current cybercrime case studies
- state-of-the-art wireless and network connected building with free Wi-Fi for students
- prepares you to sit for recognised industry certifications (such as Cisco CCNA and CCNP)
- membership of the Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- recognition of prior learning process for those already working in the industry
- delivered at Meadowbank campus, close to train station and shopping centres.
The degree provides you with a solid foundation in network design, administration and security with a focus on critical analysis and problem solving skills to analyse security risks and apply appropriate mechanisms and policies to secure networks.
Alongside the core subjects you will be able to choose from a number of electives that give you the opportunity to move into specialist areas of interest.
Subject area: Information Technology
- Year 12 or equivalent
- Academic IELTS 6.5 with no band score lower than 6.0 or TOEFL (iBT) 79
- A pass in Year 12 Mathematics or equivalent
- Or successful completion of the TAFE NSW Diploma of Information Technology Networking and Interview (conducted in person or by phone/skype depending on the location of the student)
- See the TAFE NSW Bachelor courses entry requirements page for all acceptable minimum English Language and Academic requirements.
Northern Sydney Institute
|Total course fee: A$58,320||Enrol: Feb , Jul (Full)|
Northern Sydney Institute
|Total course fee: A$59,520||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive the Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security) students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.CORE UNITS ADDITIONAL UNITS
This program articulates from the following Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualifications:
- Diploma of Information Technology Networking (R10333)
- Advanced Diploma of Information Technology (Network Security) (R10341)
Credit transfer of up to half the degree program is available for specified units of competency for graduates who have successfully completed these programs, subject to evaluation.
Course fees and duration can vary based on the Institute you want to study at, the entry requirements for the course, and the year you will begin study.
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
Cyber security is a relatively new and evolving field requiring knowledge of multiple disciplines and the ability to keep pace in a swiftly changing digital world.
This course will help you build a career as a network security specialist and although position titles continue to evolve some current ones include: firewall engineer, information security analyst, intrusion detection analyst, network operations analyst, network security advisor, network security pre-sales engineer, network security specialist, penetration tester, security implementation engineer, security solution specialist, security specialist, web security engineer.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together leading to a TAFE NSW Bachelor Degree, either to meet the prerequisite requirements for a course or to plan your studies around your career goals. You can submit a single TAFE NSW application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.