INTERNATIONAL - About - About TAFE NSW - Complaints and Feedback - Content

Complaints and Feedback

During your time studying with TAFE NSW, you might have a concern about your course, your teachers, other TAFE NSW employees or TAFE NSW policies and procedures. We encourage you to contact your TAFE NSW campus if you want to make a complaint or a suggestion.

If you do have a complaint, we recommend you talk to someone as soon as the situation arises. This way, it won't escalate unnecessarily into a bigger problem. Most concerns can be solved by talking to a staff member at your local campus, because they know your situation and can respond to your concerns promptly.

If you have feedback or a complaint about TAFE NSW, you can report it to any TAFE NSW employee or your local TAFE NSW Consumer Protection Officer. They will record your concerns so they can be dealt with confidentiality and promptly.

You may submit your complaint using a Suggestion or Complaints Form, available from teaching and administration staff, or online via the online feedback form.

Complaints to TAFE NSW are managed in accordance with TAFE NSW's Complaint Management Policy.

Smart and skilled complaints and feedback

If you are enrolled in a Smart and Skilled qualification, and your issue cannot be resolved at your local TAFE NSW, you can also contact the Smart and Skilled Customer Support Centre to seek assistance, ask for advice, make a complaint or provide feedback.

You can do this by phone on 1300 772 104, or in person at a State Training Services Centre.

For more information, please see the TAFE NSW Complaint Management Policy.

Assessment appeals

If you wish to have an assessment reviewed or make an appeal against an assessment, there is a separate process for managing that. Please contact your teacher or campus office for more information on this or refer to Every Student's Guide to Assessment in TAFE NSW.

How to make complaint

You can make a complaint to TAFE NSW at any time by filling in the online form available here.

If you are unable to access the online form, any TAFE NSW employee will assist you to enter the complaint details on the online form.

It is best to discuss your concerns with your teacher first. Make an appropriate time to meet with them, send them an email requesting a time to meet or phone your local TAFE NSW administration office and ask for an appointment with the teacher.

If you are not happy with the result, or if you do not feel it is appropriate to talk to them, phone and make an appointment to discuss your concerns with the relevant head teacher.

You can find out the contact details by asking a staff member at your local TAFE NSW administration office, by calling your local TAFE NSW or completing an online enquiry form.

You may bring a friend or relative to be your support. If you need an interpreter, we can arrange that - please just ask beforehand.

If your complaint cannot be resolved in an informal way, we may ask you to put it in writing. It is important that you include specific details of the situation and tell us what you would like to happen as a result of your complaint. We can help you to put your complaint in writing, if you require it.

Complaint confidentiality

The person dealing with your complaint will advise you if confidentiality applies to your case, but generally it can't be guaranteed. If your complaint is about another person they have a right to know the allegations and be given a chance to respond.

Making an anonymous complaint

You can make your complaint anonymously, however, it may be difficult to resolve an anonymous complaint if you do not provide your contact details and further information is required.

After a complaint is made

How your complaint is managed depends on what it is about. Most complaints can be resolved quickly and informally to everybody's satisfaction simply by having a discussion and exploring options to resolve the matter.

Some complaints are covered under another policy or by special legislation e.g. occupational health and safety or anti-discrimination policies. You will be advised if this is the case with your complaint. You will be told the name of the person who is dealing with your complaint.

Occasionally more serious or complex complaints require investigation. These can take a longer time to resolve. If this happens, you should be informed of the progress and the outcome of your complaint by phone or in writing at regular intervals until the matter is resolved.

If you have not heard from the person handling the complaint within a reasonable time, call to ask them what is happening.

Possible outcomes

1. The complaint is upheld (in part or in full) and where appropriate, one or more of the following actions may be offered to you:

  • action to fix or improve the situation;

  • an apology;

  • an explanation;

  • an admission that the situation could have been handled differently or better;

  • an assurance that the event complained of will not recur;

  • an explanation of the steps that have been taken to ensure that it will not happen again, and/or

  • an undertaking to review the department's or TAFE NSW's policies in light of the complaint.

2. Your complaint is not upheld. The reasons for this should be clearly given.

If you are not happy with the result, you may ask for a review of your complaint by responding to the outcome letter and providing reasons why you believe a review is necessary.

You can find out the contact details by asking a staff member at the campus administration office, by calling your local TAFE NSW or completing our online complaint form.

If you are unsatisfied with the outcome

If you feel that you haven't been treated fairly or that the result is unreasonable, you may wish to seek a review from an independent organisation.

External bodies that may be able to assist include:

NSW Ombudsman
Ph: +61 (0)2 9286 1000

Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW
Ph: +61 (0)2 9268 5555