International Course Info
This qualification reflects the role of early
childhood educators who are responsible for designing and implementing
curriculum in early childhood education and care services. In doing so they
work to implement an approved learning framework within the requirements of the
Education and Care Services National Regulations and the National Quality
This course is for people who want to work as an early childhood educator in a centre-based service or family day care. This level of educator is responsible for planning, implementing and managing programs in early childhood education and care services in accordance with legislative requirements and may have responsibility for supervision of volunteers or other staff.
You will gain skills and knowledge in how to use a national learning framework, regulations and quality standards to support the education and care of children from birth to school age. You will be able to document, plan and evaluate children's play and learning while ensuring children's health and safety. You will be able to support the holistic development of children birth to school age and manage a children's service to address regulations and quality assurance.
Work placement Requirements:
Workplace learning ('On-the-Job' training), is required for the achievement of competencies in the Diploma. A minimum of 240 hours of workplace learning is required, in an authorised children's service. Workplace learning is not paid. A teacher will secure a work placement for you and assist in the organisation of the workplace learning and associated workplace activities in line with TAFE NSW policy.
In NSW you need a minimum of one year's experience, gained after the Diploma qualification, to apply for the role of an authorised supervisor of a child care centre. See the Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) requirements.
Licensing and Regulatory Requirements:
Under the Education and Care Services National Law
(2011), the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA)
publishes lists of approved early childhood education and care qualifications
and information regarding regulatory requirements here: www.acecqa.gov.au.
Subject area: Children's Services
- Year 10 or equivalent
- Academic IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL (iBT) 60 with no score lower than 5.5 in any band (reading, writing, listening and speaking)
- If English is your primary language and you have attended and satisfactorily completed at least four years of primary and secondary education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries, including at least two years between years 7 and 12. (Recognised countries are Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom, USA)
- OR Completion of three years of secondary, vocational or tertiary education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries above
- OR Achievement of PTE Academic: minimum overall score of 50 and a minimum score of 50 in each of the four communicative skills (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking)
- OR achievement of a minimum pass at 'B' level in each of the four components (reading, writing, listening and speaking) of the Occupational English Test (OET)
- OR Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English scale of 169
- All students must complete a 'Working with Children Check'- Anyone engaging in child-related work (including student placements and volunteers) MUST have a current Working with Children Check (students/volunteers free). Visit: https://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/child-safe-organisations/working-with-children-check https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-working-children-check.
- Be physically fit to undertake tasks associated with the work placement (such as manual lifting)
- Be physically fit to undertake first aid responses including performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) while kneeling on the floor
This course is eligible for Destination Australia Scholarship in selected regional campuses in TAFE NSW.
For more details visit the Destination Australia page.
|Orange||Total course fee: A$21,645||Enrol: Oct|
|Wollongbar||Total course fee: A$21,645||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Wollongong||Total course fee: A$21,645||Enrol: Feb|
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.CORE UNITS ADDITIONAL UNITS
When you finish this course you can apply for direct entry to Year 2 of the 4-Year Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) degree program.
Course fees and duration can vary based on the Institute you want to study at, the entry requirements for the course, and the year you will begin study.
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
Centre Manager (Children's Services), Children's Advisor, Children's Service Director/Manager, Early Childhood Educator, Children's Services Coordinator, Group/Team Coordinator/Leader Early Childhood, Family Day Care Coordinator, Program Leader (Children's Services), Child Development Educator, Special Needs/Inclusive Educator.
Under the Children's Services Regulation 2004 you cannot be employed in Children's Services until you are 18 years of age.