Course Details - TAFE NSW
International Course Info
This course is for people who want to work as an early childhood educator in a centre-based service or family day care. This level of educator is responsible for planning, implementing and managing programs in early childhood education and care services in accordance with legislative requirements and is often responsible for the supervision of others.
You will gain skills and knowledge in how to use a national learning framework, regulations and quality standards to support the education and care of children from birth to school age. You will be able to document, plan and evaluate children's play and learning while ensuring children's health and safety. You will be able to support the holistic development of children birth to school age and manage a children's service to address regulations and quality assurance.
Workers in this role may have responsibility for supervision of volunteers or other staff.
Work placement: Workplace learning ('On-the-Job' training), is required for the achievement of competencies in the Diploma. A minimum of 240 hours of workplace learning is required, in an authorised children's service. Workplace learning is not paid. A teacher will secure a work placement for you and assist in the organisation of the workplace learning and associated workplace activities in line with TAFE NSW policy.
Additional information: In NSW you need a minimum of one year's experience, gained after the Diploma qualification, to apply for the role of an authorised supervisor of a child care centre. See the Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) requirements.
Subject area: Children's Services
- While there is no formal academic entry requirement for this course, it is recommended applicants have completed Year 12 equivalent
- Academic IELTS 6.0 with no score lower than 5.5 in any band (Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking) or TOEFL(iBT) 60
- If English is your primary language and you have attended and satisfactorily completed at least four years of primary and secondary education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries, including at least two years between years 7 and 12. (Recognised countries are Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom, USA)
- OR Completion of three years of secondary, vocational or tertiary education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries above
- OR Achievement of PTE Academic: minimum overall score of 50 and a minimum score of 50 in each of the four communicative skills (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking)
- OR achievement of a minimum pass at 'B' level in each of the four components (reading, writing, listening and speaking) of the Occupational English Test (OET)
- OR Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English scale of 169
|Wollongbar||Total course fee: A$21,920||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Wollongong||Total course fee: A$21,920||Enrol: Feb|
|Wollongbar||Total course fee: A$21,645||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Wollongong||Total course fee: A$21,645||Enrol: Feb|
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.CORE UNITS ADDITIONAL UNITS
When you finish this course you can apply for direct entry to Year 2 of the 4-Year Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) degree program.
Course fees and duration can vary based on the Institute you want to study at, the entry requirements for the course, and the year you will begin study.
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
Centre Manager (Children's Services), Children's Advisor, Children's Service Director/Manager, Early Childhood Educator, Children's Services Coordinator, Group/Team Coordinator/Leader Early Childhood, Family Day Care Coordinator, Program Leader (Children's Services), Child Development Educator, Special Needs/Inclusive Educator.
Under the Children's Services Regulation 2004 you cannot be employed in Children's Services until you are 18 years of age.