International Course Info
The Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) aims to develop early childhood teachers who can integrate theoretical knowledge into practical education and care skills in the workplace.
There is a strong, applied learning focus to this degree so that when you graduate, you'll be prepared to work with children in a variety of settings including long day care, preschool, integrated child and family services and early intervention services.
The academic and theoretical content are supplemented by work experience which will allow you to apply what you've learned in a real world environment.
You will study child development and pedagogical practices, ethics, diversity and social justice. During your work placement, you will have the opportunity to test your theoretical understanding in a real workplace.
The four-year degree offers:
- Experience in the workplace. You'll complete eight separate professional experience placements throughout the program. These will be in the form of block placements for 5 days a week for 2 to 4 weeks in each semester of study. This will give you an outstanding opportunity to put the knowledge you have acquired into practice.
- A multidisciplinary approach. You'll gain practical skills with a strong theoretical underpinning. You'll reflect on your practical experiences as you learn.
- A supportive learning environment. Students will learn in small classes and enjoy learning from experienced, qualified teachers. TAFE NSW understands the learning needs of its students and has developed its teaching style accordingly.
- An industry-recognised qualification that will allow you to work as an early childhood teacher in Australia. Please refer to Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority website for further information. https://www.acecqa.gov.au/
- Graduates of TAFE NSW bachelor degree have been successful in their assessment for skilled migration by AITSL.
- A positive assessment by AITSL requires applicants to meet criteria additional to the qualification.
- Each application is assessed on its merits against the assessment criteria for the nominated occupation.
- AITSL does not list qualifications recognised for skills assessment. https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia
The degree is structured over eight semesters, with full-time students required to complete five subjects per semester in the following sequence.
The Work Placement built into
this degree gives you a greater understanding of work based practices.
There is a total of 840 Work Placement hours over the 4 years of the degree.
In the first 2.5 years there are 96 work placement hours each semester ( 12 days per semester) and from Year 3 Semester 2 onwards there are 120 work placement hours each semester ( 15 days per semester).
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- Year 12 or equivalent
- If you completed Year 12 in NSW (HSC), a Band 4 in 2 Unit English or equivalent is required.
- Academic IELTS 6.5 with no band score lower than 6.0 or TOEFL (iBT) 79
See the TAFE NSW Bachelor courses entry requirements page for all acceptable minimum
English Language and Academic requirements.
THIS COURSE IS ALSO OFFERED AT ST LEONARDS
Entry into St Leonards campus requires completion of the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (25281). If you have not already completed this Diploma in Australia then you must apply for a pathway package. Pathway Package details: Certificate III + Diploma + Bachelor Degree.
Note: To submit a package application for St Leonards please complete a paper application.
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from over 50 campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network, socialise and just chill out.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Glendale||Feb , Jul||A$53,440|
|Nirimba||Feb , Jul||A$53,440|
|Randwick||Feb , Jul||A$53,440|
|Shellharbour||Feb , Jul||A$53,440|
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Glendale||Feb , Jul||A$54,720|
|Nirimba||Feb , Jul||A$54,720|
|Randwick||Feb , Jul||A$54,720|
|Shellharbour||Feb , Jul||A$54,720|
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.
- Year One - ECCWC101A Nutrition,Health and safety
- Year One - ECSFC101A Professional, Cultural and Academic Practice
- Year One - ECTPP101A Holistic Child Development
- Year One - ECTPP102A Play and Documentation
- Year One - ECPPL101A Professional Experience 1 (Birth -2 years)
- Year One - ECCDD101A Health and Physical Wellbeing
- Year One - ECCDD102A Creativity in the Early Years
- Year One - ECCDD103A Children\'s Self- Identity and Family Contexts
- Year One - ECSFC102A Sustainability in Early Childhood
- Year One - ECPPL102A Professional experience 2 (2-3 years)
- Year Two - ECCWC201A Exceptional Children Early Intervention
- Year Two - ECPPL203A Manage an Education and Care Service
- Year Two - ECSFC201A Diverse Australia Equity and Diversity
- Year Two - ECTPP201A Documentation, Planning and Assessment 1 Theory and Practice
- Year Two - ECPPL201A Professional Experience 3 (Birth-3 Years)
- Year Two - ECCDD201A Mathematics Education
- Year Two - ECCDD202A Communication,Language and Literacy
- Year Two - ECTPP202A Documentation, Planning and Assessment 2 Philosophy and Curriculum Development
- Year Two - ECTPP203A Brain Development and Cognitive Learning
- Year Two - ECPPL202A Professional experience 4 (Preschool)
- Year Three - ECCDD301A Visual and Media Arts
- Year Three - ECCWC302A Inclusive Practice and Principles in Early Childhood
- Year Three - ECSFC301A Working with Families and Community Partnerships
- Year Three - ECTPP302A Reflective and Professional Practice
- Year Three - ECPPL301A Professional Experience 5 (Community Engagement)
- Year Three - ECCDD302A Science and Technology
- Year Three - ECCDD303A Music,Movement and Drama
- Year Three - ECCWC301A Gifted Education
- Year Three - ECTPP301A Educational Psychology and Pedagogical Practice
- Year Three - ECPPL302A Professional experience 6 (3-5 years)
- Year Four - ECCDD401A Multimodal Media and Digital Technology
- Year Four - ECCWC401A Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education
- Year Four - ECPPL403A Research in Early Childhood Education 1
- Year Four - ECPPL405A Leadership and Management in Early Childhood
- Year Four - ECPPL401A Professional Experience 7 (Early Childhood Leadership)
- Year Four - ECPPL404A Research in Early Childhood Education 2
- Year Four - ECSFC401A Advocacy, Social Justice and Professional Ethics
- Year Four - ECTPP401A Developing Early Childhood Curriculum
- Year Four - ECTPP402A Philosophies, Ideologies and Theories of Education
- Year Four - ECPPL402A Professional Experience 8 (Early Childhood Leadership)
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
At Randwick, Nirimba, St Leonards and Glendale graduates of Diploma of Early Childhood and Care 25281 will receive credit transfers to the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5).This will lead to a reduction in the duration of the Bachelor course.
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together leading to a TAFE NSW Bachelor Degree, either to meet the prerequisite requirements for a course or to plan your studies around your career goals. You can submit a single TAFE NSW application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.