Course Details - TAFE NSW
International Course Info
The Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) aims to develop early childhood teachers who can integrate theoretical knowledge into practical education and care skills in the workplace.
There is a strong, applied learning focus to this degree so that when you graduate, you'll be prepared to work with children in a variety of settings including long day care, preschool, integrated child and family services and early intervention services.
The academic and theoretical content are supplemented by work experience which will allow you to apply what you've learned in a real world environment.
You will study child development and pedagogical practices, ethics, diversity and social justice. During your work placement, you will have the opportunity to test your theoretical understanding in a real workplace.
The four-year degree offers:
- Experience in the workplace. You'll complete eight separate professional experience placements throughout the program. These will be in the form of block placements for 5 days a week for 2 to 4 weeks in each semester of study. This will give you an outstanding opportunity to put the knowledge you have acquired into practice.
- A multidisciplinary approach. You'll gain practical skills with a strong theoretical underpinning. You'll reflect on your practical experiences as you learn.
- A supportive learning environment. Students will learn in small classes and enjoy learning from experienced, qualified teachers. TAFE NSW understands the learning needs of its students and has developed its teaching style accordingly.
- An industry-recognised qualification that will allow you to work as an early childhood teacher in Australia. Please refer to Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority website for further information. https://www.acecqa.gov.au/
- Graduates of TAFE NSW bachelor degree have been successful in their assessment for skilled migration by AITSL.
- A positive assessment by AITSL requires applicants to meet criteria additional to the qualification.
- Each application is assessed on its merits against the assessment criteria for the nominated occupation.
- AITSL does not list qualifications recognised for skills assessment. https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia
The degree is structured over eight semesters, with full-time students required to complete five subjects per semester in the following sequence.
Subject area: Children's Services
- Year 12 or equivalent
- If you completed Year 12 in NSW (HSC), a Band 4 in 2 Unit English or equivalent is required.
- Academic IELTS 6.5 with no band score lower than 6.0 or TOEFL (iBT) 79
- See the TAFE NSW Bachelor courses entry requirements page for all acceptable minimum English Language and Academic requirements.
|Glendale||Total course fee: A$52,320||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Nirimba||Total course fee: A$52,320||Enrol: Feb , Jul (Full)|
|Randwick||Total course fee: A$52,320||Enrol: Feb , Jul (Full)|
|Shellharbour||Total course fee: A$52,320||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Glendale||Total course fee: A$53,440||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Nirimba||Total course fee: A$53,440||Enrol: Jul|
|Randwick||Total course fee: A$53,440||Enrol: Feb (Full) , Jul|
|Shellharbour||Total course fee: A$53,440||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.CORE UNITS ADDITIONAL UNITS
Graduates of Diploma of Early Childhood and Care 25281 will receive credit transfers to the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5).This will lead to a reduction in the duration of the bachelor course.
Course fees and duration can vary based on the Institute you want to study at, the entry requirements for the course, and the year you will begin study.
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
This professional teaching degree qualifies you to work as a:
- Early Childhood Teacher
- Integrated Child and Family Services
- Early Intervention Services.
Or to be employed in:
Other long term career opportunities exist in the children's services directorate, children's services quality assurance programs and adult education with a range of training organisations delivering children's services courses.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together leading to a TAFE NSW Bachelor Degree, either to meet the prerequisite requirements for a course or to plan your studies around your career goals. You can submit a single TAFE NSW application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.