International Course Info
This qualification reflects the role of an enrolled nurse working under supervision of a registered nurse. This qualification covers the application of skills and knowledge required to provide nursing care for people across the health sector. A lifespan approach should underpin this qualification with relevant competencies that relate to the different stages of life identified within the units.
A graduate from a Diploma of Nursing program approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) is able to apply for registration with the NMBA as an enrolled nurse. Further information on registration is available at www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au. Note that the scope of practice for enrolled nurses is determined by state and territory legislative requirements and the policies and procedures of the employing organisation.
All programs leading to registration or endorsement must be first accredited by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) Board and approved as a qualification for registration by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) before students can enrol into the program. Students who are applying to undertake a program of study leading to a qualification that enables graduates to register or be endorsed as nurses or midwives, must be advised of the accreditation status of the program prior to enrolling. The students must be assured that they will be able to complete an approved course of study leading to registration or endorsement.
Work Placement Requirements:
Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of their first clinical placement. Prior to the first clinical placement in NSW health Clinconnect, all students provide endorsed copies of the following documents to their course coordinator:
- A valid working with Children Check.
- A valid National Police Record Check.
- Evidence they have met NSW Health immunisation requirements.
Total Work Placement Hours: TAFE NSW students complete 440 hours of placement to ensure the minimum 400 hours as directed by ANMAC accreditation standard is achieved. 40 hours contribute to the assessment activities undertaken in the workplace.
Eligibility for work placement:
Before commencement of professional experience in NSW Health facilities or other facilities, students will be required to:
- Meet NSW Health’s criminal record check and working with children check requirements.
- Sign the NSW Health code of conduct form and any other forms, as required by NSW health.
- Undertake occupational assessment, screening and vaccination against infectious diseases and provide their health care worker/student vaccination record card.
- Complete mandatory online modules as required by facilities.
- All learners receive a workplace portfolio that consist of assessment activities signed off by the teachers and assessors.
- All areas must be signed and dated before the learners can achieve a satisfactory result in this event.
Requirements of work place/supervisor: Workplace supervisors should be a registered Nurse with current registration with AHPRA and must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience. Whilst on work placement the learners will be supervised by teachers and assessors as required by ANMAC.
Physical fitness/aptitude: HLTAID003 It is important that all qualified first aiders have the physical ability to provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid to an expected standard. Certain aspects of assessment in this unit will rely on students’ physical ability to:
- Perform 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on an adult and infant manikin.
- Perform CPR at floor level on an adult manikin.
- Respond to an emergency situation where there may be risk to life.
- Students who are physically unable to meet all assessment requirements will be unable to successfully complete this unit of competency.
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- Year 12 or equivalent
- Academic IELTS 7.0 with 7.0 across all bands OR
- Occupational English Test (OET) with minimum score of B in each of the 4 components OR
- PTE Academic with a minimum overall score of 65 and a minimum score of 65 in each of the 4 components OR
- TOEFL iBT at a minimum overall score of 94 with a minimum score of 24 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Writing and 23 in Speaking
- Please note that the results can be collected across two (2) tests within a six (6) month period)*
*conditions apply* Please click on the link for more detail https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-Standards/English-language-skills.aspx
A graduate from a Diploma of Nursing program approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) is able to apply for registration with the NMBA as an enrolled nurse. Further information on registration is available at www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au
- For English language requirements for registration as a Nurse in Australia see Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website
- Graduates, who want to work in Australia, must meet the registration standards as outlined by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from over 50 campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network, socialise and just chill out.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Castle Hill||Apr , Sep||A$24,130|
|Kingswood||Feb , Jul , Sep||A$24,130|
|Newcastle||Apr , Jul||A$24,130|
|Randwick||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
|St George||Feb (Full) , Jul||A$24,130|
|Ultimo||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
|Wetherill Park||Apr , Nov||A$24,130|
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Ultimo||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.
- Packaging Rules:
- Total number of units = 25.
- 20 core units & 5 elective units, consisting of: Note: HLTAID003 is a compulsory elective in TAFE NSW.
- At least 3 units from the electives listed below and up to 2 units from any endorsed Training Package or accredited course – these units must be relevant to the work outcome.
- All electives chosen must contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome. To enable recording of the 440 Hours of work placement 14393A is a compulsory addition to the offering in TAFE NSW to record the work placement requirement of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) Enrolled Nurse Accreditation Standards. (See the full packaging rules in Training.gov.au and the Enrolled Nurse Accreditation Standards in https://www.anmac.org.au/standards-and-review/enrolled-nurse).
- Core Units
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- HLTAAP002 Confirm physical health status
- HLTAAP003 Analyse and respond to client health information
- HLTENN001 Practise nursing within the Australian health care system
- HLTENN002 Apply communication skills in nursing practice
- HLTENN003 Perform clinical assessment and contribute to planning nursing care
- HLTENN004 Implement, monitor and evaluate nursing care plans
- HLTENN005 Contribute to nursing care of a person with complex needs
- HLTENN006 Apply principles of wound management in the clinical environment
- HLTENN007 Administer and monitor medicines and intravenous therapy
- HLTENN008 Apply legal and ethical parameters to nursing practice
- HLTENN009 Implement and monitor care for a person with mental health conditions
- HLTENN011 Implement and monitor care for a person with acute health problems
- HLTENN012 Implement and monitor care for a person with chronic health problems
- HLTENN013 Implement and monitor care of the older person
- HLTENN015 Apply nursing practice in the primary health care setting
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCCCS027 Visit client residence
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in the health or community services
- CHCLLN001 Respond to client language, literacy and numeracy needs
- CHCPOL003 Research and apply evidence to practice
- HLTAHA023 Support the provision of basic nutrition advice and education
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid
- HLTENN010 Apply a palliative approach in nursing practice
- HLTENN014 Contribute to maternal and infant health care
- HLTENN025 Implement and monitor care for a person with diabetes
- HLTINF003 Implement and monitor infection prevention and control policy and procedures
- HLTOHC001 Recognise and respond to oral health issues
- HLTOHC002 Inform and support patients and groups about oral health
- HLTOHC003 Apply and manage use of basic oral health products
- HLTOHC004 Provide or assist with oral hygiene
- HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
- HLTWHS006 Manage personal stressors in the work environment
- BSBLDR403 Lead team effectiveness
- BSBWOR404 Develop work priorities
- TAEDEL402A Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
Students who successfully complete the TAFE NSW Diploma of Nursing may articulate with credit transfer into the undergraduate pre-registration nursing degree program at UTS.
University of Technology (UTS) gives TAFE NSW graduates guaranteed entry into the Bachelor of Nursing with 48 credit points towards the Bachelor of Nursing (this is one year credit transfer of full time study).
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together, either to meet the prerequisite requirements for a course or to plan your studies around your career goals. You can submit a single TAFE NSW application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together leading to a University Bachelor Degree with guaranteed credit at Australian universities. You will be required to complete a TAFE NSW application form & University application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.