Course Details - TAFE NSW
International Course Info
This course provides the skills and knowledge to work as an enrolled nurse under the supervision of the registered nurse in a variety of settings including acute, aged care, community rehabilitation and mental health. It will provide the theoretical and practical skills to:
- Relate the concepts of the person, environment and health to the safe and effective practice of nursing
- Participate in a multidisciplinary team to assist the individual to meet their needs
- Practise in a safe and culturally competent manner to meet the physical, psychosocial, emotional and mental health needs of individuals
- Practice within the nursing professional standards, codes of practice and state legislation
- Develop, monitor and maintain a holistic plan of care in collaboration with the RN, multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrate effective communication and documentation skills in a variety of healthcare settings
- Participate in a professional development of self
- Practise within safety standards and quality improvement guidelines
- Engage in reflective practice, nursing research and critically analyse and apply evidence based practice to nursing care
To complete the Diploma of Nursing students are required to successfully complete all units and complete a minimum of 400 hours of unpaid professional experience to meet the assessment requirements of the units.On completion of this qualification students are eligible to apply for registration as an Enrolled Nurse with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
Term dates may change depending on clinical placements.
ENROLLING IN FIRST AID UNITS OF COMPETENCY If you are enrolling in a first aid unit of competency you are advised that to complete the unit you must be able to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for at least 2 minutes on the floor. If you have a disability that would prevent you from performing required basic life support skills you are advised that you will not be able to achieve the unit of competency.
Professional Experience - With Supervised professional experience, you will reinforce the theory and skills learned in class while gaining real-world experience in a healthcare environment. Prior to undertaking professional experience you must be prepared to:
NSW Health - Before you commence any professional experience in NSW Health facilities, you will be required to:
- Meet NSW Health's -Criminal Record Check requirements;
- Sign the NSW Health Code of Conduct form and any other forms, as required by NSW Health;
- Undertake Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination against Infectious Diseases and provide your Health Care Worker/Student Vaccination Record Card.
For Specific information regarding NSW Health 's requirements, and access to the required forms, it is recommended that you visit their FAQ's for students at:
AGED CARE WORK - Before you undertake any professional experience in Aged Care Facilities you will be required to undertake a National Criminal Record Check. Visit: www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx3.
You will also be required to obtain an Australian National Police Check Certificate through the Australian Police Force or a Criminal Record check from private organisations provided they are a CrimTrac accredited Broker Agency.
Students must also obtain Police Certificates from their home country or any country that they have resided in( as a permanent resident or citizen) since turning 16 years of age (translated into English).
If you are unable to obtain a Police Certificate from your home country or any other country that you have been a citizen or permanent resident of since turning 16 years of age, you must complete the Template Statutory Declaration Statutory Declaration (The Statutory Declaration must be completed after arrival in NSW.)
COMMUNITY AND CHILDREN'S SERVICES - Anyone in child -related work (including student professional experience and volunteers) MUST have a current Working with Children Check ( student/volunteers free) in line with the Office of Children's Guardian phase-in schedule and processes. Visit: www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/child-safe-organisations/working-with-children-check/apply
STUDENT READINESS FOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Professional experience will only occur after there has been a reasonable amount of student /teacher contact and when the teacher is satisfied that you are ready to benefit from workplace learning and perform workplace duties. Your teacher can provide further information.
This course is made up of blocks of theoretical study, which will be run over three days per week, interspersed with clinical practice in a range of health facilities. This will enable you to study and to work part-time on the other days during the theoretical blocks (as well as being able to work full-time in vacation periods). Note also that tuition fees include text books.
Subject area: Nursing
- Year 12 or equivalent
- Academic IELTS 7.0 with 7.0 across all bands
- OR Occupational English Test (OET) with minimum score of B in each of the 4 components
- OR PTE Academic with a minimum overall score of 65 and a minimum score of 65 in each of the 4 components
- OR TOEFL iBT at a minimum overall score of 94 with reading at a minimum of 24, listening a minimum of 24, speaking at a minimum of 23 and writing at a minimum of 27
Please note that the results can be collected across two (2) tests within a six (6) month period)*
*conditions apply visit AHPRA Registration for more detail.
|Castle Hill||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Griffith||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Kingswood||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Feb , Apr (Full) , Jul (Full) , Oct|
|Newcastle||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Apr , Jul , Oct|
|Randwick||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Feb , Jul (Full)|
|Shellharbour||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Feb , Aug|
|St George||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Feb , Jul (Full)|
|Ultimo||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Feb , Jul (Full)|
|Wetherill Park||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Mar , Jul|
|Wyong||Total course fee: A$23,430||Enrol: Apr|
|Castle Hill||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Griffith||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Kingswood||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Newcastle||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Randwick||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Shellharbour||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Apr , Sep|
|St George||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Ultimo||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
|Wyong||Total course fee: A$24,130||Enrol: Feb , Jul|
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive the Diploma of Nursing students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.CORE UNITS ADDITIONAL UNITS
Students who successfully complete the TAFE NSW Diploma of Nursing may articulate with credit transfer into the undergraduate pre-registration nursing degree program at UTS.
University of Technology (UTS) gives TAFE NSW graduates guaranteed entry into the Bachelor of Nursing with 48 credit points towards the Bachelor of Nursing (this is one year credit transfer of full time study).
When you finish this course you can apply for enrolment with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia to practice as an enrolled nurse. Enrolled nurses can work in general or specialised health care facilities.
- For English language requirements for registration as a Nurse in Australia see Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website
- Graduates, who want to work in Australia, must meet the registration standards as outlined by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
Course fees and duration can vary based on the Institute you want to study at, the entry requirements for the course, and the year you will begin study.
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
Enrolled Nurses can work in general or specialised health care facilities including acute (hospital),care, medical centres, community,mental health, rural and remote, aged care and palliative care.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together leading to a University Bachelor Degree with guaranteed credit at Australian universities. You will be required to complete a TAFE NSW application form & University application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.