International Course Info
The recognised Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Chemistry) at TAFE NSW builds on your existing laboratory skills and knowledge, so you are able to perform a wide range of routine and complex specialised tests. You will have the opportunity to work with a range of samples that are atypical and in multiple operating variables.
This program has been developed in consultation with industry so you will gain the expertise that employers are looking for. Your skills will be refined in real lab environments that reflect the standards of the chemical sciences industry. Graduates of this course go on to roles such as laboratory technician and technical officer.
This 9 month, intensive program has been developed in consultation with industry so you will gain the expertise that employers are looking for.
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- Academic IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL (iBT) 46 or equivalent
- Or Completion of a TAFE NSW General English Program
TAFE NSW makes every effort to ensure your Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) needs are met. The level of support you require may be assessed via a review of your LLN skills with written tasks and a one-on-one interview. If you need to strengthen your LLN skills, an individual training plan will be created with you.
To be prepared for this course, it is highly recommended that you:
- Have good written and verbal communication skills
- Are self-motivated
- Have collaboration skills and the ability to work individually
- Have an interest in science and engineering
- Are comfortable with arithmetic calculations
- Have computer skills
- Have a strong background in topics such as chemistry, biology or simple statistics
If you need help preparing for study, contact us about your options.
No licensing or certification requirements exist at the time of publication.
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from over 50 campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network, socialise and just chill out.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Granville||Jul , Oct||A$26,080|
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Granville||Feb , Jul , Oct||A$26,080|
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.
Packaging Rules: Total Number of Units =15.5 core units & 10 elective units, consisting of at least 7 units from the electives lists including at least 5 units coded at 5000 or above and up to 3 units from any endorsed Training Package or accredited course -these unit must be relevant to the work outcome.
- Any combination of electives that meets the rules above can be selected for the award of the MSL50118 Diploma of Laboratory Technology. Where appropriate electives may be packaged to provide a qualification with an specialization.
- Core Units
- MSL924003 Process and Interpret data
- MSL924004 Use laboratory application software
- MSL925004 Analyse data and report results
- MSL934004 Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment
- MSL935007 Monitor the quality of test results and data
- MSL925003 Determine measurements of uncertainty
- MSL935006 Assist in the maintenance of reference materials
- MSL974019 Perform chemical tests and procedures
- MSL975040 Apply routine chromatographic techniques
- MSL975046 Perform complex tests to measure chemical properties of materials
- MSL975047 Apply complex instrumental techniques
- MSL975048 Apply routine spectrometric techniques
- MSL975049 Apply routine electrometric techniques
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together, either to meet the prerequisite requirements for a course or to plan your studies around your career goals. You can submit a single TAFE NSW application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.