CAPE Header - English Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Career Area Stream
CAPE Related - English Language, Literacy, Numeracy - FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
English language courses equip people from culturally diverse backgrounds with English language skills like speaking, and listening, to confidently navigate life in Australia.
Literacy and numeracy courses help people with English as their first language, to bridge gaps in their previous education and improve their abilities in reading, writing, digital literacy, numeracy, problem solving, creativity, communication and teamwork.
Find your starting point, improve your English, language, literacy and numeracy skills and swing open new doors to work, social and study opportunities.
TAFE NSW has a range of courses to help improve your English language, literacy and numeracy skills.
English language courses
Build your confidence using English in different situations with:
- Certificate I in Spoken and Written English (Pre level- Certificate III available)
- Certificate II in English for Speakers of Other Languages (Certificate I-III available)
- Certificate III in English for Further Study
- Certificate IV in English for Academic Purposes
Literacy and numeracy courses (Foundation Skills)
A wide range of courses are available to fill knowledge gaps and build on your existing skills:
- Statement of Attainment in Academic Foundation Skills
- Statement of Attainment in Defence Preparation Maths and English
- Certificate I in Preparation for Work and Training
- Certificate I in Access to Work and Training
- Certificate I in Access to Vocational Pathways
- Certificate I in Skills for Work and Training
- Certificate II in Skills for Work and Vocational Pathways
New to Australia and the English language? Learn conversational English, improve your vocabulary and literacy skills with our nationally recognised English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) courses. You will learn to:
- Write basic English
- Speak in informal face-to-face or telephone conversations
- Listen to and understand news stories, instructions and directions
- Read and understand news stories, short stories, and general information
- Improve your conversation skills
- Gain confidence using English
Growing your English language skills improves your study and employment opportunities, and helps you to make friends and social connections in Australia, and around the world.
Australian workplaces require increasingly high levels of literacy and numeracy and the ability to move into technology-rich environments.
Whether English is your first or second language, our courses are designed to help you develop the fundamental skills needed to succeed in any career you choose.
No goal is too big - we can help you improve your English language skills - speaking, listening, and your reading, writing and numeracy skills.
Communicate well in different social and work situations using English
- Digital skills
- Presentation skills
- Team work
- Critical thinking
Course Guide - English Language, Literacy, Numeracy
Career Area - SEO - English Language, Literacy, Numeracy - Footer
What job opportunities could an english language, literacy, and numeracy course lead to?
English language, literacy, and numeracy are essential skills needed within the workplace and for further studying.
Whether you are just starting out learning to read, write, and speak English, or if you’re looking to expand your literacy and numeracy skills for further study or employment, TAFE NSW English language, literacy, and numeracy courses are designed to help.
We help students develop a strong foundation and to be ready for any language, literacy, and numeracy tests needed to progress employability skills.
Developing your literacy and numeracy skills will allow you to communicate effectively, interpret mathematical information and develop logical thinking, while also preparing you for vocational pathways and advanced study skills.
TAFE NSW English language, literacy, and numeracy courses cover all aspects from basic literacy and numeracy skills, improving numeracy and math skills for adults, to teaching English for working professionals.
Gain the confidence and capability to accomplish basic maths, written and oral communicative tasks that you need to thrive within any organisation or school environment. Discover the right course for you today.