CAPE Header - Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
Career Area Stream
CAPE Related - Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
Courses - Air-conditioning and Refrigeration - FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
HVAC&R stands for heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration. It deals with a range of roles that help to design, engineer, manufacture, sell, install, and maintain the variety of machines and equipment used within the industry.
Refrigeration engineers and refrigeration mechanics perform a range of tasks involved with the design, installation, repair, and maintenance of industrial and commercial refrigeration equipment to ensure that food and other perishable goods are stored correctly at a lower temperature. TAFE NSW has a range of courses designed in conjunction with the industry, to help you kickstart a career as a refrigeration engineer or refrigeration mechanic.
Work as a HVAC&R technician can involve a wide range of tasks, such as:
- managing occupational health and safety requirements
- working with various energy sector requirements and skills
- using and producing drawings, diagrams, schedules, standards, codes, and specifications
- participating in development and following a personal competency development plan
- providing solutions to basic engineering computational problems
- fabricating, assembling, and dismantling utilities industry components
- establishing the thermodynamic parameters of refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- establishing head loads for commercial refrigeration and/or air conditioning applications
- determining noise and vibrations encountered in HVAC&R applications
- analysing and evaluating various systems
Course Guide - Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
Career Area - SEO - Refrigeration Air Conditioning - Footer
What job opportunities could a refrigeration and air conditioning course lead to?
The heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and refrigeration industry (HVAC&R) is growing, driven by population growth, globalisation, and consumer trends.
Careers in this field are unique and varied as air conditioning and refrigeration professionals cover both electrical and mechanical areas, and include roles such as:
- air conditioning system installer
- split air-conditioning installer
- refrigeration mechanic
- project manager
And with strong wages, interesting work and plenty of opportunity to build a long term career, it's never been a better time to get into a HVAC&R career.
TAFE NSW offers a wide range of courses at a number of levels to suit your needs. Whether you're just starting out in your HVAC&R career, want to upgrade your skills or simply broaden your horizons, enrol now at TAFE NSW.