Experience the new TAFE NSW website... Launch Beta!
Browse hundreds of courses with a wide range of study options from online courses to diploma qualifications, training and full-time education. Learn more
A variety of scholarship opportunities are available for different areas of study, across the state. Learn more
View our news, press releases, videos, announcements and publications about TAFE NSW. Learn more
A change is like a holiday... Or is it time to make a change
during the holidays?
It's the end of another long year and the country is moving into
shutdown mode. What are some ways you can make the most of your
precious holiday time?
1. Get an internship: Real-world experience looks
great on a CV, and with so many staff taking leave you may find
businesses are more than happy for you to get some work experience by
helping them out.
2. Volunteer: Strange as it seems, spending a couple
of weeks building huts in Africa can be just as refreshing as lounging
by a resort pool. Check out the amazing work TAFE Illawarra Head
Everett has done in Bangladesh (he is set to take a group of
students for another epic volunteer adventure to Nepal in April, 2016)!
3. Get a jump on next year's work or study: If you
can get some unpleasant tasks out of the way over the holidays –
whether it's sorting out the bookkeeping or reading the textbooks for
the courses you're doing in 2016 – that's one less thing you'll need
to worry about later on.
4. Pursue an interest: Ever wanted to master a
musical instrument or take up flower arranging? You'll be amazed how
much progress you can make in a couple of weeks if you focus.
5. Take a holiday job: Lots of industries,
particularly retail, take on casual workers around Christmas.
6. Travel: Sure, it's peak season, but you should
have a few weeks to take the kind of long trip that may not be
possible at any other time of the year.
7. Get organised: Clean up your desk, reorganise your
filing cabinet and spring clean your house. You'll be amazed at how
good it feels to lose the clutter.
8. Catch up with friends and family: We're all busy,
but with most of the country in holiday mode, now is a rare window of
opportunity to reconnect with loved ones.
9. Read and see: Read all those books you've been
meaning to read and see all those films you've been meaning to see.
10. Do something you've never done before: Whether
it's bungy jumping or volunteering at a soup kitchen, it will make
your holiday truly memorable.
11. Check out the local neighbourhood: The festive
season is a good time to take a leisurely stroll and see what has and
hasn't changed in your local area.
12. Relax and recuperate: Hey, you've studied and/or
worked hard all year. There's no shame in using your holiday time to
kick back and recharge.
The silly season is also a great time to take stock of your
professional life and consider career change. Check out TAFE NSW - we have courses to
help set you on the path to your dream job.